to create adaptive learning programs
Adaptive learning is an educational method that uses computers as interactive teaching devices. Computers adapt the presentation of educational material according to students’ learning needs, as indicated by their responses to questions and tasks. The technology encompasses aspects derived from various fields of study including computer science, education, and psychology (source: Wikipedia).
So for adaptive learning, technology is needed. Although it is possible to adapt face-to-face training to the needs of an individual student, it is very difficult to do this on the fly. So when we talk about adaptive learning, we automatically talk about e-learning or m-learning.
Adaptive learning programs are data driven: the computer gathers information during the course of the e-learning program and uses this data to personalize the course path for the student.
Making e-learning programs adaptive can be as easy and complex as you want. Some considerations to make:
Is the adaptive e-learning program still to be created? In that case you can select off the shelf adaptive training programs from a large variety of suppliers. Training institutes and publishers have invested in technology that make their published content adaptive to the end user.
Would you like to make your existing training program adaptive? Now it gets a bit more complicated. Even though it is a bit more challenging to turn an existing program into an adaptive one, there are various ways to realize this without major investments. Just some ideas:
- Split up your learning program in learning objects. What are the chapters, themes, goals of the training program? What are the various learning objects: text, video, e-learning modules, images?
- Define the order of the learning objects. Is there a logical order in which the learning objects should be studied? Can learning objects be grouped?
- Set the pass conditions: what should people have learned before they can start the next level?
- Define ways of measuring: how to assess the actual proficiency of the learner on the learning object?
- Define moments of measuring. Where do you measure the proficiency of the individual or grouped learning objects? Do you take a diagnostic test at the start of the program? Will there be an end test? After which learning objects do you present questions to verify that what has been presented has actually been understood by the learner?
Which system can support your needs? There are many systems and services on the market that you can use to make your e-learning program adaptive. Learning management systems may have functionality that enable you to create adaptive learning programs. Implementation of assessment based learning is relatively easy and does not require huge investments in time and money.
So with every budget and for every training purpose there are ways to use an adaptive learning program and to enhance the ROI on your training program. As the use of adaptive learning programs is rapidly growing, there are many experiences to share. Just ask around on look on the Internet and you will definitely be inspired.
Article provided by Drillster
Drillster developed an adaptive online learning and testing platform. A unique algorithm drives personalized learning that results in 10% higher ROI in 40% less study time. Would you like to know more about how this can impact your training program? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .